Join the Team!
Substitute teachers are a valued asset and play an integral role in the education of our students. We welcome your interest and respect your commitment to education and students.
We are currently accepting substitute teacher applications for the 23-24 School Year. Please see below for requirements and important details regarding this process. Applications must be submitted online through the EdJoin website and will be accepted through 2/29/24 at 4 PM. Current Ventura Unified substitute teachers do not need to submit an application. Thank you.
Resources for Substitute Teachers
- Wellness Policy for Substitute Teachers
- Substitute Survey on Classroom and School Site
- Information on Obtaining an Emergency 30-Day Substitute Teaching Permit
- Substitute Teacher Handbook
- Substitute Teacher Report
- STEDI.org SubEssentials Online Training ($14.95)
- STEDI.org SubSkills Online Training ($39.95)
- California Basic Educational Skills Test Information
- 2023-2024 Certificated Substitute and Hourly Salary Schedule
- 2023-2024 Substitute Incentive Rate
How to Become a Substitute Teacher
If you are interested in becoming a substitute teacher, here is everything you need to know:
- Become qualified. All substitute teachers must either possess a valid California teaching credential OR hold a bachelor’s degree and meet the Basic Skills Requirement (resumes 7/1/24). With the passage of SB 1397, the Basic Skills Requirement is temporarily waived from 1/1/23 – 7/1/24. Please see the EdJoin application requirements and qualifications for more information and detail. Due to the spontaneous, time sensitive nature of substitute teaching, you must also reside no farther north than Santa Barbara, and no farther south than Thousand Oaks.
- Submit an application. Once qualified, you may apply during our recruitment period via EdJoin. Our recruitment period is typically July through December of each year, but may vary depending upon need.
- Monitor your email. You will be notified via email of your application status, and if selected to interview, you will be notified via email as well with interview dates and times.
- Participate in an interview. If selected, you will be interviewed by our office to further determine your qualifications.
- Attend an orientation. Finally, if you are selected to join our substitute teaching team, you will be provided with all the information you need to be a successful substitute teacher during one of our substitute teacher orientations.