VUSD Multilingual Seal & California Seal of Biliteracy
Congratulations Class of 2023!
Apply for the VUSD Multilingual Seal and the CA State Seal of Biliteracy today!
Are you bilingual? Are you proficient in English and another World Language? If so, you can apply for the VUSD Multilingual Seal and the CA State Seal of Biliteracy.
What are the VUSD and State Seals? The VUSD Multilingual Seal and the State Seal of Biliteracy recognize high school graduating seniors who have attained a high level of proficiency in speaking, reading, and writing one or more languages in addition to English. Recipients of the seals receive gold seals on their diploma and an annotation on their transcripts. VUSD Multilingual Seal also receive a teal cord to wear at graduation.
Application preview: Multilingual Seal and California Seal of Biliteracy
Please read the requirements below.
|Who can apply?||Seniors|
|What are the requirements?||Students must show proficiency in English and another world language.|
|How can students show proficiency in English?||CAASPP (SBAC) score of "Standard Met" (2583), GPA in English classes OR by taking a District Assessment|
|How can students show proficiency in a World Language?||GPA in VUSD World Language classes, taking the AP or SAT II Test, OR taking a District Assessment (VUSD Multilingual Seal only).|
|English Learners||English Learners must pass ELPAC with a level 4.|
|When can seniors apply?||Applications are due by March 3, 2023.|
If you have any questions feel free to contact Danna Lomax by email or at 805-641-5000, ext. 1085.
In order to apply for the VUSD Multilingual Seal and the CA State Seal of Biliteracy, please complete the following steps.
- Make a copy of the application Links to an external site., and fill it out or get a copy from your teacher or the office.
- Get teachers’ signatures (if needed) by sharing the doc with their teachers with editing rights. Each teacher should create a special font and color and “sign” the application.
- For In person submission: Download, print, and staple all supporting documents to the application.
- Students turn in the application to their World Language teacher who will give it to the World Language Department Chair, who sill check it for completion. (BHS = Melynda Atkins & Crystal Cahuantzi; ECHS = Marjorie Harper; FTHS = Alberto Ortiz; PHS = Lorena Garcia; VHS = Alejandro Hernandez Perez)
- All applications are then given to Danna Lomax in the Multilingual & Multicultural Department at the ESC.
For help, check with your World Language teacher or the World Language Department Chair, who checks it for completion. (BHS = Melynda Atkins & Crystal Cahuantzi; ECHS = Marjorie Harper; FTHS = Alberto Ortiz; PHS = Lorena Garcia; VHS = Grace Ellberg)
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I receive more than one seal if I speak multiple languages?
Yes! If you speak Arabic, for example, and took 4 years of Spanish, you can apply for seals in Spanish and Arabic.
Where can I find out more about the State Seal of Biliteracy?
For more information about the seal, visit the California Department of Education State Seal of Biliteracy information page Links to an external site..
Who can help me if I have any questions?
If you have any further questions or need assistance with your application, please do not hesitate to reach out to your World Language teacher or Ms. Danna Lomax (email@example.com or 805-641-5000, ext. 1085). We're happy to help!
Wishing you all the best, seniors! Stay strong! You're almost there! Congratulations on your upcoming graduation!