Skip To Main Content
Ventura Unified School District (VUSD) Logo

Enrollment Requirements

The first step toward enrollment with VUSD is exploring the many options available for your student. Here at Ventura Unified we believe when delivering an education that prepares students for a future in the world today, a one-size-fits-all approach no longer suffices. That is why we have many pathways from which to choose. If you haven't explored them, we encourage you to visit our schools of choice pages where you can learn more about our offerings. Once you have selected the academic path that's right for your student, it's time to enroll.

Enrollment will look different depending on the pathway you've selected. Most enrollment takes place right in your chosen school office, but when you are enrolling via inter/intra district transfer, you will need to work with the Student Support Services staff who will assist you in navigating this process.

If you are new to VUSD, we have listed the enrollment requirements below to help you prepare for this process.

Students new to Ventura Unified School District must provide the following items:

1.  Birthdate verification needs to be one of the following.

  • Birth certificate or statement by the local registrar or county recorder certifying the date of birth
  • Passport
  • Baptismal certificate/affidavit

2.  Health Information

  • Health exam verification (Grade Kinder or 1st)
  • Proof of immunizations

3.  Two Proofs of Residency

  • County/State correspondence
  • Child Support Division
  • Housing Authority
  • Human Services Agency
  • Property Tax Statement
  • Superior/Municipal Court
  • Voter Registration
  • W-2 Tax Form
  • Escrow real estate documents
  • Lease/rental agreement (only with a property management company)
  • Loan statement
  • Pay-stub
  • Utility bill or hook-up receipt

Homeless & Foster Youth

Caregiver Status

A Caregiver is a "qualified relative" such as a grandparent, stepparent, brother, sister, step-sibling, aunt, uncle, etc., who cares for the child either during the extended geographical absence of a parent  or during a time when the parent is otherwise unqualified, unable or unfit to care for the child.

If a person who is not relative wished to become a caregiver, they may be required by the law to obtain a foster home license in order to care for the minor. 

To establish caregiver status for school attendance in Ventura Unified School District, a caregiver's affidavit must be completed with the Student Support Services office (805) 641-5000 ext. 1102.  The following documentation would be required:        

  • California Driver's License or Identification Card
  • 2 proofs of residency
  • If no driver's license, another form of identification will be required such as a social security card or Medi-Cal ID.

A Caregiver's Affidavit should not be confused with court recognized legal guardianship of a minor.  This affidavit does not affect the right of the minor's parents or legal guardian regarding the care, custody and control of the minor, and does not mean that the caregiver has legal custody of the minor. 

Child Custody

Schools in the Ventura Unified School District follow child custody decisions made by the courts.   If a child custody arrangement has changed, a parent or guardian must provide legal documents to the school stating this.  It's important for parents/guardians to make sure to check the box on your child's School Emergency Card indicating there are child custody orders in effect and provide a copy to the school.

How to Withdraw Your Student from VUSD
  1. If child is to be enrolled at another public school in a city near Ventura but family is not residing in that city :
    1. Parent/guardian must submit an interdistrict transfer for VUSD’s release
    2. Parent/guardian is to notify the most current school the intent to enroll at which school


  1. If child is to be enrolled at a private or charter school:
    1. Parent/guardian is to notify the most current school the intent to enroll at a different school


  1. If family moves out of state/country:
    1. Parent/guardian is to notify the most current school of the move.


  1. If they are withdrawing to homeschool that is NOT VUSD's Homestead
    1. Parent/guardian will need to complete a private school affidavit with the CA Department of Education (CDE) found here:
    2. Parent/guardian is to provide confirmation of completion of the private school affidavit from CDE to the most current school of state / county.