October 30, 2017
Welcome back from Fall Break! I hope all of you had a break filled with wonderful memories. There is lots going on at Portola and we are happy to hit the ground running.
Traffic and campus safety have been a topic of conversation with our staff, parent committees and individual parents. We all have to be conscious and intentional when it comes to making safety a priority. Please make a commitment to yourselves and our children, to emphasize and model safety at all times.
These are updates/reminders for traffic safety:
- Over the break, our Partridge parking lot was restriped to help with traffic flow. Please use the pick/drop off zone for the intended purpose.
- In both parking lots, please only park in the designated stalls. In the partridge parking lot, some parents have been parking on the curb closest to the Kindergarten classrooms. In the Eagle parking lot, some parents have been utilizing staff designated stalls.
- Never block handicap parking, and only use the handicap stalls when you have a placard.
- Always follow all traffic laws around our school campus and plan to arrive early.
The following are updates/reminders regarding our before school movement:
- Our outside supervision begins at 7:45 am.
- Breakfast is served in the cafeteria from 7:20 – 7:50 am daily. Students that eat breakfast must eat inside.
- Students and parents may sit down at the black tables in the outside eating area or stand by stars near library.
- Students are not allowed to pass the stars in front of the office and enter the classroom areas unless accompanied by a staff member or special pass provided by a teacher.
- All students must walk to class in an orderly manner-no pushing and shoving in the hallways.
We appreciate your support in making Portola a safe school community. If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Principal, Portola Elementary School
Hello and welcome to the 2017-2018 school year! I hope all of you enjoyed an excellent summer with many memorable moments.
We are excited to get the school year under way and we have much to celebrate as Portola continues to shine. Portola remains the highest ranked Title 1 School in Ventura County. Our 2017-2018 goals for Portola include but are not limited to: growth of Daily 5, technology integration, common core standards implementation and increased enrichment.
Portola’s tradition of success is only possible because of the amazing support we receive from our parents. Our PFFO (Portola Families and Faculty Organization) raised $40,000 last school year! I want to thank our entire PFFO for their creativity, networking, resourcefulness and incredible hard work. Our outgoing co-presidents Janine Sena and Ani Taylor, established a great foundation for the future. Join me in welcoming our new president, Tasha Ricketson for the 2017 – 2018 school year. She is eager to begin her presidency and lead our PFFO to new heights while offering many opportunities to strengthen our community as well as raising funds for our school. If you would like to get involved with our PFFO, in a small or large capacity, speak to your child’s teacher or contact our presidents at Portolaffo@gmail.com.
Attendance will continue to be a priority area for us at Portola. Please bring your child to school every day and on time. Take advantage of our “Saturday Academies” which are offered every month beginning on September 16th. For each Saturday Academy a student attends, it will credit that student with one day of attendance during the year.
As the school year begins, please be conscious about our before and after school traffic. We have to constantly remind ourselves that we are in a “school zone” where children are present. With that being said, it is imperative that we follow all traffic safety rules. Both of our parking lots have convenient drop off and pick up zones which should ease traffic.
I invite all of you to join us for “Back to School Night” on Wednesday, September 6th at 6 p.m. You will have an opportunity to familiarize yourself with classroom procedures, expectations, curriculum and other important aspect of child’s learning environment.
Please remember to send the following mandatory items with your child TOMORROW:
1) Emergency Card 2) Annual Notice 3) Library Contract 4) Income Verification Form
If your child was on the free and reduced lunch program last year, you need to fill out a new form this year. You can visit the district website and fill one out on-line for faster processing. Hard copies are available in the office. Students will still receive lunch as school starts but if the form is not returned they will be taken off the program in 30 days.
Principal, Portola Elementary