Substitute teachers are a valued asset and play an integral role in the education of our students. We welcome your interest and respect your commitment to education and students.
The recruitment for substitute teachers for the 17-18 School Year is now closed. Recruitment for the 18-19 School Year will begin in July 2018 and a posting will be opened on the EdJoin website at that time. Thank you.
How do I become a substitute teacher?
- Become qualified. All substitute teachers must either posses a valid California teaching credential OR hold a bachelor's degree and have passed the California Basic Educational Skills Test (CBEST). Due to the spontaneous, time sensitive nature of substitute teaching, you must also reside no farther north than Santa Barbara, and no farther south than Thousand Oaks.
- Submit an application. Once qualified, you may apply during our recruitment period via EdJoin. Our recruitment period is typically July through December of each year, but may vary depending upon need.
- Monitor your email. You will be notified via email of your application status, and if selected to interview, you will be notified via email as well with interview dates and times.
- Participate in an interview. If selected, you will be interviewed by our office to further determine your qualifiations.
- Attend an orientation. Finally, if you are selected to join our substitute teaching team, you will be provided with all the information you need to be a successful substitute teacher during one of our substitute teacher orientations.
Resources for Substitute Teachers: