Top 10 Things Youth Need from Adults
Based on a survey of more than 500 young people at a youth conference in April 2000, teens identified these as the things they most needed from adults:
- Get to know us! Don't make judgments or stereotypes based on first impressions.
- Recognize our wisdom and treat us with respect. Trust us to try it on our own.
- Believe in us and never, ever give up on us.
- Provide help, support, and guidance with patience, care, and love.
- Listen. Value youths' opinions and feelings. Be our advocate and ally.
- Provide job opportunities!
- Make time for us.
- Work with us in partnership. Have fun with us and teach us what you know.
- Provide a range of opportunities that are safe, playful, and help us make a difference.