Enrollment Requirements

Students new to Ventura Unified School District must provide the following items:
1.  Birthdate verification needs to be one of the following.
    • Birth certificate
    • Passport
    • Baptismal certificate/affidavit
2.  Health Information
    • Health exam verification (Grade Kinder or 1st)
    • Proof of immunizations
3.  Two Proofs of Residency
    • County/State correspondence
      • Child Support Division
      • Housing Authority
      • Human Services Agency
      • Property Tax Statement
      • Superior/Municipal Court
      • Voter Registration
      • W-2 Tax Form
    • Escrow real estate documents
    • Lease/rental agreement (only with a property management company)
    • Loan statement
    • Pay-stub
    • Utility bill or hook-up receipt

Homeless & Foster Youth

Caregiver Status

A Caregiver is a "qualified relative" such as a grandparent, stepparent, brother, sister, step-sibling, aunt, uncle, etc., who cares for the child either during the extended geographical absence of a parent  or during a time when the parent is otherwise unqualified, unable or unfit to care for the child.

If a person who is not relative wished to become a caregiver, they may be required by the law to obtain a foster home license in order to care for the minor.  

To establish caregiver status for school attendance in Ventura Unified School District, a caregiver's affidavit must be completed with the Student Support Services office (805) 641-5000 ext. 1102.  The following documentation would be required:
        •  California Driver's License or Identification Card
        •  2 proofs of residency
        •  If no driver's license, another form of identification will be required such as a social security card or Medi-Cal ID.


A Caregiver's Affidavit should not be confused with court recognized legal guardianship of a minor.  This affidavit does not affect the right of the minor's parents or legal guardian regarding the care, custody and control of the minor, and does not mean that the caregiver has legal custody of the minor.  

Child Custody

Schools in the Ventura Unified School District follow child custody decisions made by the courts.   If a child custody arrangement has changed, a parent or guardian must provide legal documents to the school stating this.  It's important for parents/guardians to make sure to check the box on your child's School Emergency Card indicating there are child custody orders in effect and provide a copy to the school.