Open Classroom Admissions Policy and Procedures
Open Classroom is an alternative educational program within Ventura Unified School District. As a special program within our district, we find that the following are indicators of a successful integration into the Open Classroom program:
Evidence of Adaptability:
Transitions easily between activities
Transitions easily between adult leaders
Works well with a variety of students
Shows flexibility with adjustments in an activity
Evidence of Cooperation:
Shares with others
Listens to the teacher
Allows others to speak
Listens to others’ input
Allows others to contribute
Speaks politely & respectfully
Shows patience in letting other students think through their answers
Evidence of Independence:
Stays on task
Gets back on task without help
Starts on work quickly
Tunes out distractions
Takes responsibility for his/her work
Takes responsibility for his/her actions
Evidence of a Struggle with Adaptability:
Has difficulty transitioning between activities
Has difficulty transitioning between adult leaders
Has difficulty working with other students
Has difficulty showing flexibility
Evidence of a Struggle with Cooperation:
Takes/keeps materials from others
Talks while the teacher talks
Speaks over others
Speaks/acts impolitely and/or disrespectfully
Shouts out answers while others are thinking
Evidence of a Struggle with independence:
Is off task
Requires reminders to get on task
Loses focus on task at hand
Gets easily distracted
Places his/her work onto others
1. Family contacts Blanche Reynolds Elementary School office at 805-289-1817
2. Principal or Open Classroom parent volunteer invites prospective parent/guardian to upcoming OC orientation and tour.
3. Prospective parent/guardian attends orientation and tour to learn more about the Open Classroom program, OC indicators of success and upcoming “mock school day” or classroom visit.
4. Prospective parent/guardian and student attend a “mock school day” or classroom visit.
5. Principal and staff observe prospective student in OC classroom to determine if student’s classroom experience indicates a positive integration into the Open Classroom program.
6. Principal or Open Classroom parent volunteer follows up with parent/guardian to share outcome of visit.
7. If the student met the indicators of successful transition into Open Classroom, parent/guardian would fill out intra-district transfer paperwork (if home school is within VUSD) or inter-district transfer paperwork (if home school is outside of VUSD).