Features of the Open Classroom Program
· Fosters a safe and supportive community of students, parents, teachers learning together.
· Emphasizes critical thinking and real life problems solving in both social–emotional and academic areas of learning,
· Develops respectful and collaborative relationships between parents and teachers to support each student,
· Frequent use of small group learning,
· Strives to empower students with academic excellence and social-emotional-life skills,
· Fosters the development of leadership, collaboration, self-reliance, cooperative interdependence, and resourcefulness,
· Curriculum inspired by the students needs and interests,
· Uses hands-on learning to support constructivist learning, especially in the arts and sciences.
· Commitment to hands on arts and sciences
· We value diverse experience, backgrounds, and ways of learning,
· We use project-based learning,
· Encourages technological literacy, and use of multi-media for collaborative learning projects,
· National standards are integrate with students’ interests,
Supports multiple learning styles and intelligence's,
· Motivates learning with multi-age and peer-learning,
· Emphasizes experiential learning including numerous field trips and campouts,
· Our curriculum remains responsive to local and global cultures and current events,
· Provides experiences in environmental stewardship,
· Encourages social responsibility and community service
· Encourages awareness of ways to create peace and sustain non-violent ways of life.
· Open Classroom remains flexible, resourceful, and responsive to best serve its students and their families.